Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nautical Themed Pashmina Afghan

Just kidding, its a nautical themed DIY tank top. I love my new shirt and love that it cost me $5 even more. Wish I could take credit for the idea, but I copied this shirt almost exactly from an Ali Foster Patterns tutorial.

Before:
-$5 navy tank top from Old Navy
-3" strips cut from an extra flat sheet I had in my fabric basket

I used Fray Check on the edges of the fabric rather of folding over and sewing the edges.  (You can see the little bottle in the right on the picture next to the scissors). I had never used this before, and so far the edges of the strips have not frayed at all, but we'll see after I wash it.

You can see the more detailed tutorial over at Ali Foster Patterns, but I basically gathered the strips into ruffles, pinned them down on the neckline, and them stitched all the way around.
 
After


I love knowing that no one else has this shirt, and I think I'm going to tackle at least one clothing DIY a month.



No comments:

Post a Comment